Who Are the Most Important Archangels?
Archangels, God's top angels, are such powerful spiritual beings that they often capture people’s attention and awe. While the exact amount of archangels is debated among different faiths, seven archangels supervise angels who specialize in different types of work helping humanity, and four of those are considered by many believers to be the most important archangels. They are Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel.
Michael, who leads all of the holy angels, often works on missions that involve fighting evil, proclaiming God's truth, and strengthening people's faith.
Gabriel, who communicates God's most important announcements to humans, specializes in helping people understand God's messages and apply them to their lives well.
Raphael, who serves as God's main healing angel, cares for the health of people, animals, and every other part of God's creation.
Uriel, who focuses on wisdom, often works on missions of helping people learn more about God, themselves, and others.
Four Directions and Elements
Believers have grouped these four leading angels into categories that correspond to their specialties on our planet: four directions (north, south, west, and east) and four natural elements (air, fire, water, and earth).
- Michael represents south and fire. As the angel of fire, Michael sparks a desire in people to discover the spiritual truth and pursue closer relationships with God. He also helps people burn sins out of their lives as he works to protect them from evil. Michael empowers people to let go of fear and live with the passion of being on fire with love for the God who loves them.
- Gabriel represents west and water. As the angel of water, Gabriel inspires people to be receptive to God's messages. He also urges people to reflect on their thoughts and emotions and helps them clearly understand the messages within what they think and feel. Finally, Gabriel encourages people to pursue purity to move closer to God.
- Raphael represents east and air. As the angel of air, Raphael helps people break free of burdens, make healthy lifestyle choices, become the people God wants them to become, and soar toward the right goals for their lives.
- Uriel represents north and earth. As the angel of earth, Uriel grounds people in God's wisdom and gives them down-to-earth solutions for their problems. He also acts as stabilizing force in people's lives, helping them live at peace within themselves and in relationships with God and other people.
Light Rays of Different Colors
Each of these top archangels supervises a myriad of other angels working within a light ray with energy that corresponds to specific topics. By tuning into the energy from angelic light rays, people can focus their prayers according to what type of help they’re seeking from archangels.
- Michael leads the blue light ray, which represents power, protection, faith, courage, and strength.
- Gabriel leads the white light ray, which represents purity, harmony, and holiness.
- Raphael leads the green light ray, which represents healing and prosperity.
- Uriel leads the red light ray, which represents wise service.
Saints and Archangels
Although most saints are human souls who lived as people on Earth before going to heaven, three of these leading archangels are considered saints, as well. They respond to prayers for help about certain types of concerns that relate to their specialties.
- Saint Michael is the patron saint of sick people and those who work in dangerous conditions, such as police officers. He helps people fight through challenges and emerge victoriously.
- Saint Gabriel is the patron saint of communication. He helps people send, receive, and understand messages well.
- Saint Raphael is the patron saint of healing for body, mind, and spirit. He helps people experience the best health they can physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.
Uriel isn't officially considered a saint, but he still responds to people's prayers -- especially those seeking wisdom.
These four most important archangels are also featured on tarot cards, which people may use as tools to seek guidance about the future.
- Michael is on the "Temperance" tarot card, which represents the concept of the spiritual and physical realms connecting.
- Gabriel is on the "Judgement" tarot card, which represents the concept of spiritual communication.
- Raphael is on the "Lovers" tarot card, which represents the concept of romantic relationships.
- Uriel (and alternatively, Archangel Lucifer) is sometimes interpreted to be on the "Devil" tarot card, which represents the concept of gaining wisdom by learning from your weaknesses and mistakes and seeking God's help.
By Whitney Hopler